[IDV #IKJ-976237]: IDV - IDV fails to connect to any server.

Hi Samuel-

> I have added the last line to the following /etc/hosts file, but IDV still
> gives the same error:
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> ::1     EBE271-22LIN.cup.edu    EBE271-22LIN    localhost.localdomain
> localhos
> 127.0.0.1       localhost

Let me first say that we don't use IPV6 here, so in some cases I'm
making educated guesses based on knowledge of IPV4 and what I found
on Google.  And I'm assuming you are indeed set up to use IPV6 on
this machine.  The Java version that the IDV uses should handle
both IPV4 & IPV6.

I'm guessing that something still is not right in the /etc/hosts table
and that it is still failing on the first line.

- Was the first line added automatically or did you add it in manually?
Typically, I would expect it to be:

::1    localhost.localdomain    localhost

(with tabs between fields) and have the local name info
(EBE271-22LIN.cup.edu) be listed separately.  You could try
changing that, restarting you ethernet interface and seeing if
that works.

You could try to use the following.  Edit the runIDV script and insert
the property to prefer IPV4:

command="java -Xmx512m -Didv.enableStereo=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
-jar ${dirname}/idv.jar $*"

to see if it will ignore the IPV6 line.

Give either (or both) of those a try and see if you get further.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: IKJ-976237
Department: Support IDV