[IDV #PZK-607862]: IDV - Windows graphics driver will not support 1024 memory

Hi Mike-

> > > Institution: SJSU
> > > Package Version: 2.0
> > > Operating System: XP
> > > Hardware Information: Dell Inspiron with 2 GB RAM
> > > Inquiry: Hi,
> > > I edited runIDV.bat and increased my memory to 1024. But When I
> > did this it yelled at me with the old "wglGetExtensionsStringARB
> > not support" JAVA 3D error.
> >
> >Changing the memory for Java shouldn't affect the graphics card at all.
> >Does the problem go away if you set it back to 512m and create the
> >same display?
>
> Yes, no errors when I change back to 512m.

Wow, that's bizarre!

> >  Is the complete message:
> >
> >Java 3D ERROR : wglGetExtensionsStringARB not support !
> >  - The specified procedure could not be found.
> >
> >Fallback to use standard ChoosePixelFormat.
> >Java 3D ERROR : OpenGL 1.2 or better is required (GL_VERSION=1.1)
> >Exception in thread "J3D-Renderer-1"
> >java.lang.IllegalStateException: GL_VERSION
> >
> >         at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.createNewContext(Native Method)
> >         at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.createNewContext(Canvas3D.java:2429)
> >         at javax.media.j3d.Renderer.doWork(Renderer.java:747)
> >         at javax.media.j3d.J3dThread.run(J3dThread.java:250)
>
> No, it just gives the error I mentioned above upon startup. It does
> give other errors depending on what I try to plot after strartup

Hmm, I would expect that you wouldn't get any displays.

> > > My grpahics card is 945 GM express chipset, and I updated the
> > driver to the latest in case that was the issue, but nope.
> >
> >Right click on the desktop and bring up the Properties dialog
> >for the display and go to the Setting tab.  Click on the
> >Advanced button.  Do you have an OpenGL tab?  If so, is there
> >anything that indicates the version of OpenGL that it supports?
>
> No OpenGL tab.

Well, that's the problem! ;-)

> > > Not a big deal, I just thought I would pass this along in case it
> > reveals some limitation, etc.
> >
> >Updating the driver to the latest version should have fixed this.
> >I found this page that says that the drivers from Microsoft don't
> >have OpenGL support (news to me!):
> >
> >http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel945gm/sb/CS-021517.htm
>
> When I go to install this driver package, it says the driver being
> installed is not validated for this computer. But I can go to dell
> support and download the updated driver and install it. Maybe Dell
> does not have the latest driver or something. See system info below.

It looks like their driver doesn't support OpenGL.

> >Use the Help->About menu to bring up the About dialog.  Click on
> >the System tab and send that info back to us (this is automatic in
> >the next version).  You can click in the window, press Ctrl-A to
> >select everything, then Ctrl-C to copy and in your e-mail app,
> >press Ctrl-V to paste it in.
>
> I don't have that option. But here is the text from the Intel
> graphics media accelerator driver information page:
> Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile Report
>

> Report Date:            10/25/2006
> Report Time[hr:mm:ss]:  09:26:28
> Driver Version:         6.14.10.4634  *(the date on this in the
> driver window is 7/14/2006)
> Operating System:               Windows XP* Professional, Service
> Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
> Default Language:               English
> DirectX* Version:               9.0
> Physical Memory:                2038 MB
> Minimum Graphics Memory:        8 MB
> Maximum Graphics Memory:        224 MB
> Graphics Memory in Use: 9 MB
> Processor:              x86 family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
> Processor Speed:                1830 MHZ
> Vendor ID:              8086
> Device ID:              27A2
> Device Revision:                03
>
> *   Accelerator Information   *
>
> Accelerator in Use:             Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
> Video BIOS:             1264
> Current Graphics Mode:  1280 by 768 True Color (60 Hz)
>
> *   Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator   *
> Active Notebook Displays: 1
>
> *   Notebook   *
>
> Monitor Name:           Plug and Play Monitor
> Display Type:           Digital
> Gamma Value:            2.20
> DDC2 Protocol:          Supported
> Maximum Image Size:     Horizontal: Not Available
> Vertical:   Not Available
> Monitor Supported Modes:
> 1440 by 900 (60 Hz)
> Display Power Management Support:
> Standby Mode:   Not Supported
> Suspend Mode:   Not Supported
> Active Off Mode: Not Supported

One other thing to do is to run IDV in Direct-X mode.  Edit runIDV.bat
and comment out the first line (REM at beginning) and remove
the REM from the last line.  This might lead to a different set
of error messages, so let me know.

> > > PS, I'm doing a little IDV show and tell for our department
> > today...should be fun!
> >
> >How'd that go?
>
> Great, people were impressed with the capabilities....students more
> so than faculty. I basically showed how easy it was to get rolling,
> save bundles, use anywhere on the Internet, etc.
>
> Anyhow, this is not an immediate concern so no worries.

Try running under Direct-X and see if that works.

Don

Ticket ID: PZK-607862
Department: Support IDV