[IDD #RIL-545470]: Requested Change to Hostname

Hi Phil.

re:
> We are in the process of upgrading our LDM server and our host name will
> have a minor change. While we are setting up the LDM, we would like both
> to work concurrently if at all possible. We can let you know as soon as
> the old server has been retired. (We will not be using both concurrently
> other than for testing and setup).
>
> Current Host Name: twister2.sbs.ohio-state.edu

OK, both forward and reverse DNS exist for your current machine:

~: nslookup twister2.sbs.ohio-state.edu
Server:         208.67.222.222
Address:        208.67.222.222#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   twister2.sbs.ohio-state.edu
Address: 128.146.194.17

~: nslookup 128.146.194.17
Server:         208.67.222.222
Address:        208.67.222.222#53

Non-authoritative answer:
17.194.146.128.in-addr.arpa     name = twister2.sbs.ohio-state.edu.

> New Host Name: twister2.asc.ohio-state.edu

The problem I see is that there is no reverse DNS for your new machine:

~: nslookup twister2.asc.ohio-state.edu
Server:         208.67.222.222
Address:        208.67.222.222#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   twister2.asc.ohio-state.edu
Address: 128.146.117.210

~: nslookup 128.146.117.210
Server:         208.67.222.222
Address:        208.67.222.222#53

** server can't find 210.117.146.128.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

The LDM relies on reverse DNS to translate from the IP address that
is contained in feed REQUESTs into a fully qualified hostname.  Without
reverse DNS, the blanket '.edu' rule that we have in place on our
top level IDD relay cluster, idd.unidata.ucar.edu, will not work.

re:
> At present, we request the following feeds from idd.unidata.ucar.edu
>
> HDS|FNEXRAD|FSL2|IDS|DDPLUS|CONDUIT|NIMAGE|NNEXRAD

Yup, I see these in the real-time stats that your current machine is
reporting back to us:

http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?twister2.sbs.ohio-state.edu
re:
> Thank you very much for your help - please let us know if you have any
> questions or concerns.

Our concern is the lack of reverse DNS for your new machine.  As soon as
you get your network folks to fix this, you should be able to REQUEST
the feeds you want from idd.unidata.ucar.edu from your new machine.

Ticket ID: RIL-545470
Department: Support IDD