[IDD #YCE-190543]: BGP routes from UNIDATA

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> I talked with our engineering folks. BGP routing from flood.atmos.uiuc.edu
> and idd.atmos.uiuc.edu is ONLY happening through the I2 AND anyone
> that has an agreement with them to peer. One such ISP is is Illinois
> Century Network (ICN). We had problems with them and had to shut off
> the connection. We are attempting to work with them to get that turned
> back on, and go with a 10 GB connection. If that happens, then we have
> redundant peering with U of I.

OK, interesting.

re:
> Now, about UNIDATA...
>
> Our peering with you is through Frontier communications. So, last
> Thursday morning, when we had a 3 hour I2 outage due to the fiber
> maintenance, I didn't get data from you, or very little of it.
> What happened? We have a 10 GB connection with Syndeo, but only
> 1 GB with Frontier. Guess who we routed through, and guess what
> was severely saturated? :-(

When you say 'we', I am assuming that you mean NIU as a whole,
and that is why the connection got saturated.

re:
> So, this means that, if I2 goes out on our end:
>
> 1. We lose connectivity through U of I
> 2. We lose connectivity through U-W Madison
> 3. Our connection to UNIDATA/idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> saturates if on a weekday, even on an evening

One, two, three and you are out :-(

re:
> Huh. We now have COD as a backup. I'm checking into
> others. Thanks for the help!

Sorry for your headaches!

Ticket ID: YCE-190543
Department: Support IDD