[IDD #PZS-945807]: HRRR data on IDD/LDM

> Hi Jeff

Hi Marcelo,

Still awaiting the new GRIB tables from NOAA for the HRRR, so that the
parameter name space will make sense :)

It was expected at the start of this week, still nothing....

I can open up the feed to you if you would like to test some things out...the
HRRR will decode only partially until we get the new tables.

1) I ~thought we were going with a THREDDS solution, not an LDM solution...no
worries, we can do both or either. :)

2) I will need an IP of the machine the LDM is running on, and that machine
will need to have BOTH forward and reverse DNS
capability for the LDM to function correctly.

3) Once we have the IP we can get the feed going, at least test it for the GFS
until the HRRR tables are ready...

I am currently looking at the NCEP HRRR vs the NOAA HRRR to see if they have
their ducks in a row yet..we may go that path if I can confirm
they are sending the pressure levels...(the desired output) instead of the
"height" levels...

I am at Denver University tomorrow, so it may be Friday if we do not get it
going this afternoon.

Cheers,

Jeff

> I have installed LDM on our machine at microsoft and I wonder what  I would
> need to do to have access to the data we need from unidata. According to
> Davis Gochis what we need is HRRR and GFS4 data from NCEP.
>
> > The parameters we need are
> > Incoming Short Wave Radiation (W/m2)
> > Incoming Long Wave Radiation (W/m2) (I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NOT
> > AVAILABLE)
> > Specific Humidity                (Kg/Kg)
> > Air Temperature                  (K)
> > Surface Pressure                 (Pa)
> > Near surface widn in the u and v components, (m/s)
> > Liquid water precipitation       (mm/s)
>
> Thank you
>
> Marcelo
>

> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > Hello
> > Hi Marcelo,
> >
> > This is Jeff, we met in Tuscaloosa...
> >

> > > I am contacting you to ask what would be the best way to get HRRR data
> > > hourly through IDD/LDM. This is for a project lead by CUAHSI (
> > > https://www.cuahsi.org/NFIE) and  NWS, in which we are planning to run
> > > NCAR's WRF-Hydro software for the cont US.
> > >

> > Yes, aware of this plan :)
> >
> > > The parameters we need are
> > > Incoming Short Wave Radiation (W/m2)
> > > Incoming Long Wave Radiation (W/m2) (I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NOT
> > > AVAILABLE)
> > > Specific Humidity                (Kg/Kg)
> > > Air Temperature                  (K)
> > > Surface Pressure                 (Pa)
> > > Near surface widn in the u and v components, (m/s)
> > > Liquid water precipitation       (mm/s)
> > >

> > Marcelo, I suspect that we can derive Long Wave by subtracting short wave
> > from Net....double checking that net radiation at surface is a parameter,
> > but pretty sure it is.
> >

> > > Also I wonder if you have MRMS precipitation data available.
> >

> > We will have it, NSSL (Nat'l Severe Storms Lab) has brought down the feed
> > for a bit, we expect it to be back in time for NFIE
> > spring/summer workshop...I will keep on that schedule and keep you up to
> > date.
> >

> > > Currently we are using THREDDS service to get the data (
> > >
> > http://thredds-jumbo.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/grib/HRRR/CONUS_3km/surface/catalog.html
> > );
> > > however, we understand that GSD THREDDS is an experimental system that
> > can
> > > change in any moment and we need an operational system to rely on.
> > >

> > Yes, we are getting both the "operational" HRRR (surface fields) via the
> > IDD/LDM from NCEP
> > AND the experimental HRRR (all levels) from NOAA ESRL/GSD...this is what
> > is on thredds-jumbo currently.
> >

> > I am working on this to insure stability and consistency during the NFIE
> > campaign, I will have more definitive info as we get into next week re the
> > GSD HRRR and the NSSL MRMS feeds...
> >
> > I am in contact with the NOAA people to see if they can freeze
> > modifications during the NFIE campaign and minimize downtime...

> [...]

Jeff Weber
Unidata User Support
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: PZS-945807