[IDD #XEC-580619]: IDD Peering request from Unidata

Hi Mike,

re:
> Thanks for the great reply, as always!  Sorry for the delay getting back to
> you.

No worries about any delays in responding.  It seems like everyone is
super busy anymore!

re:
> I am not breaking up the NEXRAD2 feed request at the moment. I will do just
> what you suggested and see what kind of difference that makes.

I can pretty much guarantee that splitting of feed REQUESTs when properly
and fully done will result in a dramatic improvement in the product
latencies that you experience.

By the way, if you are redundantly REQUESTing the same feeds from
additional sites (and by the real-time statistics your machines are
reporting I see that you are), you will need to split the feed REQUESTs
to the other upstreams as well.

re:
> I haven't
> looked at the traceroutes to tamu.edu, specifically. I figured having an
> additional feed source would help spread the "load" and eliminate any single
> point of failure.

TAMU is connected to I2 through 10 Gbps pipes.  Even though you are likely
not on I2, traffic will travel over a substantial portion of I2 before
it moves off to commercial networks, and this will help insure that
the products move to the commercial portion of the link to you as fast
as possible.  Since TAMU's I2 connections have the same capacity as the
ones out of UCAR/NCAR, feeding from us would _not_ result in lower latencies
per se.  Splitting your feed REQUESTs, on the other hand, will.

re:
> As to your original questions...  As, I mentioned given the very stable
> environment of our infrastructure. I can provide benefit to the .edu
> community by being a feed source/relay node for some LDM/IDD users.  In
> addition, I am more than willing to make some our post-processed products
> available that at no cost to the .edu user base.

We truly appreciate the offer and are thankful for the many non-.edu users
that have offered to contribute back to the Unidata community.  It
delights to no end to see all of the folks that used to be students
at Unidata community sites who are now leaders in private industry, the
government and the military and who want to help the university community
in any way that they can!

re:
> Certainly have no problem giving back, be happy too!  I am very happy to
> support the Unidata community any way I can. I have quite a bit of
> enterprise hardware available for processing in our NC data center.  This
> can be a permanent arrangement.

Can we hold on to this offer for later?  The reason I ask is that I
have always been interested in seeing some of the services we provide
being adopted for free use in the commercial world.  A prime example
of this would be the redistribution of CONDUIT model output in the
private sector not for profit, but for the good of its recipients.

re:
> Changing the feed request may solve the latency issue.

I a confident that splitting of the feed REQUESTs can drop your
NEXRAD2 latency down to near zero ** assuming that whatever process
that might be limiting your per-connection bandwidth is not also
limiting the overall volume of data that you can receive in a timely
manner **.  I think that I only need to remind you of the ongoing
battle between Netflix and large ISPs over slowing of streamed
content.  This is a very good example of what we refer to as
"packet shaping".

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.

By the way, where are your LDM machines physically located?  This might
be an important factor if we are allowed to take you up on your kind
offer to feed others and/or make new products available.

Ticket ID: XEC-580619
Department: Support IDD