[IDD #TJZ-904221]: castor.rcac.purdue.edu upgrade

Hi Don,

re:
> Have you had a chance to read my reply on this ticket?

Oops, no; sorry!

re:
> The new hardware has 32G RAM.  What would you recommend for
> a queue size?  LDM is pretty much all this system does.

The maximum queue I would make would be 28 GB, and that is
likely to be maximum overkill.  I personally would make a 24 GB
queue.

re:
> How do I go about changing the queue size on a running system?

You can not change the queue size and keep the LDM running.

re:
> 1. regutil -s 500G /queue/size

This would be 'regutil -s 24G'.  Specifying 500G for the queue exceeds
physical RAM and is, in my opinion, a bad idea.

re:
> 2. Do I need to do anything else to get running LDM to actually use the new
> queue size?

This 'regutil' invocation only changes the setting in the ~ldm/etc/registry.xml
file.  In order to implement the change, you will need to:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop
ldmadmin delqueue
ldmadmin mkqueue
ldmadmin start

All of these invocations can be strung together on one line to make the change
easier/quicker:

ldmadmin stop && ldmadmin delqueue && ldmadmin mkqueue && ldmadmin start

re:
> As for the logging, we use puppet to maintain all our system configuration.
> I'll have to work on getting the logging configured (and rotated).

Very good.

re:
> Thanks for your help!

No worries.  Sorry for having to be reminded of your questions above!

Ticket ID: TJZ-904221
Department: Support IDD