[IDD #FVI-634338]: Fwd: lightning data on UNIDATA2

Hi Rosie,

Sorry for the slow reply on your inquiry.  Several things were going
on that kept me from responding until now.

re:
> Unidata2 was apparently getting it's lightning data from unidata2-new
> (only), which is currently down as you know.

Yup.  Our working hypothesis is that there is something wrong with
the power tray in the machine.  One of the sisters of unidata2-new,
atm.ucar.edu, recently went through the exact same thing.  Mike and
I installed a new power tray and power supplies in the machine last
Wednesday while it was here in our offices; let run for two days
to make sure that things were working correctly again; and then
relocated it back to the NCAR Mesa Lab main machine room.  It has
been running well since proving to Mike and I that the problem
really was in the power tray.

re:
> We are wondering if you would like to add an alternate source for this
> data on unidata2?

Since unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu is ALLOWed to REQUEST the LIGHTNING
(aka NLDN) feed from the UAlbany toplevel, striker2.atmos.albany.edu,
I simply uncommented the feed REQUEST in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf on unidata2
and then restarted its LDM.  The NLDN data should start showing up
on the machine as soon as there is some.

re:
> Or, if you would like us to, what machine should we
> point unidata2 to

The appropriate machine to feed the NLDN lightning data from is
striker2.atmos.albany.edu.  unidata2 and unidata2-new are both
ALLOWed to REQUEST striker2.  Please let me know if you would
like this changed to a different machine in SSEC.

re:
> (to get this Dengel guy off our back) ?

Yea, that guy sure is a pain, isn't he ;-)

Ticket ID: FVI-634338
Department: Support IDD