[IDD #ECU-990662]: Organizing IDV access to my LDM archive of .gem files

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the slow response to your inquiry; our ability to respond to
inquiries was somewhat limited during the User Committee meeting period
which just ended...

re:
> I have an LDM running, and the data piles up.

:-)

re:
> But it is a heap of folders and files with inscrutable names.

That, of course, is something that is modifiable by you.

re:
> I set the data directory out on a RAMADDA but it is not useful to me.
> http://weather.rsmas.miami.edu:8080/repository/entry/show/UM+RAMADDA+Data+Repository/UM+3-month+LDM+weather+data+buffer?entryid=c770eff7-7236-43d4-aa25-64c084d7e3f8

OK, I see that you created a server side view of the directory tree
that is populated by GEMPAK decoders.

re:
> Do we need another step?

I guess I am not sure what you mean.  The server side view of the file system
presents a view that reflects the state on disk.  This is handy if one wants
a graphical depiction of what things are available, and it allows for the
content to be ever changing.  I find that this kind of view (not necessarily
the one that you have) to be quite useful for projects that I am involved
in (e.g., UCAR Africa Initiative and Antarctic IDD).

re:
> A catalogue for IDV to talk to? Is that what TDS is?

A catalog view of your RAMADDA instance content is available in the IDV
right now.

Please try the following:

IDV -> Dashboard -> Data Choosers -> Catalogs

In the entry labeled Catalogs: at the top of the right hand side window
shown for the Data Choosers tab, enter the following and press the Enter
key:

http://weather.rsmas.miami.edu:8080/repository?output=thredds.catalog

This tells the IDV to contact your RAMADDA server and ask for a THREDDS
catalog view of its holdings.  The listing I get when I do this is the
same as what you would see from a web browser when going to
http://weather.rsmas.miami.edu:8080/repository (the items listed
in the 'Content' section, not items in the 'Next steps' section).

re:
> Or IDD?

???  I think that the THREDDS catalog view of your RAMADDA holdings
is what you are looking for (as a start, at least).  Please let me
know if I am misinterpreting your questions.

re:
> (I am so ignorant - will come to summer trainings for LDM so at least
> I can ask intelligent questions).

And drink beer?  ;-)

re:
> Might this all be running on my machine already, and I just need to find it?

Exactly.

re:
> Or is it an easy install (sudo get-apt install UnidataEverythingPackage )?

You are up.  The question you have to ask yourself at this point is if the
layout of your RAMADDA holdings is what you want/like.

re:
> Thanks for any tips.

No worries.  Please check out the THREDDS catalog view in your IDV and
let us know if this doesn't get you going.

re:
> ignoramus with sudo permissions

LOL!! :-)

Ticket ID: ECU-990662