[IDDBrasil #MIV-143420]: CPTEC´s DNS issues

Hi Waldenio,

re:
> Seems that we still are experiencing problems with the CPTEC´s DNS.
> You did a nslookup at clusterpre.cptec.inpe.br ?

Here are my results:

% nslookup clusterpre.cptec.inpe.br
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find clusterpre.cptec.inpe.br: Non-existent
host/domain

re:
> May I ask help for a quick test to verify it ? I will send the results
> to our network managers.
>
> could you do a nslookup and a ping at:
>
> tumbyra.cptec.inpe.br
> ubiru.cptec.inpe.br
> 150.163.141.227
> 150.163.141.149

Here are my results:

tumbyra.cptec.inpe.br:

% nslookup tumbyra.cptec.inpe.br
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find tumbyra.cptec.inpe.br: Non-existent
host/domain

% nslookup 150.163.141.227
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Name:    tumbyra.cptec.inpe.br
Address:  150.163.141.227

ubiru.cptec.inpe.br:

% nslookup ubiru.cptec.inpe.br
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find ubiru.cptec.inpe.br: Non-existent
host/domain

% nslookup 150.163.141.149
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find 150.163.141.149: Server failed

Comments:

- since reverse DNS (IP -> name) is what is needed for LDM ALLOWs,
  tumbyra.cptec.inpe.br should be able to REQUEST data from
  idd.unidata.ucar.edu given our blanket ALLOWs for machines
  in the inpe.cptec.br domain

- since neither forward or reverse DNS seems to be available
  for ubiru.cptec.inpe.br, LDM ALLOWs would have to be by
  IP

  We do not like to create ALLOWs using machine's IP addresses
  since this is more inflexible than ALLOWs by name

re:
> Thank you very much.

No worries.

Ticket ID: MIV-143420