[IDD #MTL-429470]: FW: ECMWF

Hi Jim,

re:
> I am mainly interested in model data mostly the ECMWF.

There is lots of model data available through the THREDDS server
on motherlode.ucar.edu.  Not much of this is from ECMWF for the
reasons I explained in my previous email.  In all, there is not
much ECMWF data in NOAAPort/IDD since it is most typical that one
has to pay to get access to their data.

re:
> I already have IDV reader and the McIDAS-v reader. What Do I need to do?

Even though McIDAS-V is much the same as the IDV (McIDAS-V is about 95% IDV
code, but with additions aimed at satellite meteorologists), terminology
is different for each application.  I will focus on the IDV in answer to
your question:

1) from the Dashboard window, click on the Data Choosers tab

2) the listing of data sources is contained in the left hand side

   Click on Catalogs

3) if the value in the Catalogs: entry is
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/georesources/idvcatalog.xml,
   then you should see a listing in the window below Data Source Type: that
looks like:

   | IDV catalog
      - Unidata IDD Model Data
      - Example Bundles from the Unidata RAMADDA Server
      - Community Data Servers
      - Topography/Bathymetry
      - Tiger Shapefiles
      - National Weather Service Warning Shapefiles
      - NOAA Oceanography Data
      - Web Map Servers
      - Unidata's RAMADDA Server

  You access the model data from the IDD via the THREDDS catalog titled
  Unidata IDD Model Data -- click on the little icon to the left of the
  folder icon will open up or shut the dropdown list.  From the
  dropdown list, open the UCAR (motherlode) item.

Model data from a variety of models will be shown.  Simply choose the
model you are interested in (e.g., Rapid Refresh Model), and open its
list and see the resolutions that are available.  Choose a resolution
you are interested in and then choose the model run time you want to
see and then click on the Add Source button at the bottom of the window.
At this point, the IDV contacts the THREDDS server and gets a catalog
of the data it has for the selection you have made.  The fields that
are available are shown in the Field Selector tab, and are organized
into 2D and 3D grids.  Open the 2D or 3D list, and you will see the
different fields that are available organized by category (e.g.,
Moisture, Momentum, etc.).  Select the field you are interested
in (e.g., Moisture -> Precipitable_water @ entire_atmosphere) and then
select the type of display you want to create in the Displays panel.

If you don't know how to run the IDV, I suggest that you review the
IDV User's Guide which is built-in to the IDV itself.  You should
also review the IDV workshop training materials that are available
from our website:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Software -> IDV
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/

    Documentation
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/#documentation

     IDV tutorials used during the training workshops are available online
     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/

I strongly suggest that you also subscribe to the address@hidden
email list so you can pose questions to the IDV user community and also
see the kinds of things that they are trying to do:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Support -> Mailing Lists
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/index.html#mailinglists

Click on the tab labeled Subscribe in the last page and subscribe
to idvusers.

Please send all IDV-related questions/comments to address@hidden.

Ticket ID: MTL-429470
Department: Support IDD