[IDD #XXF-187986]: Internet2 Latencies to Boulder?

Hi Daryl,

re:
> For the past two days, I have been fighting network latencies over
> Internet2 to you folks.  Digging around, others in my area appear to be
> having issues as well.  I have cc'd UIUC as they appear to be seeing this
> as well, but I am not sure if they are on the same route I am via
> GreatPlains.
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/rtstats_topogif?NEXRAD3
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?IDS|DDPLUS+metfs1.agron.iastate.edu
>
> Are you guys aware of anything?

No, we have not seen anything here or heard from others on this topic (yet).

re:
> Do you have contacts I could talk with on
> Internet2 about this?  Our local network folks are not convinced of my
> story yet :)

We'll have to dig around in UCAR/NCAR to see if someone has an appropriate
contact.

re:
> As a practical example:
>
> I can grab this file at 100 mb/s sometimes and then a few minutes later I
> get 256Kb/s
>
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/mcidas/data/topo_lakes.gz

Very weird indeed!

re:
> I am also having issues getting to unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu, but that path
> is a peered network and does not touch internet2 to my knowledge.

We are in the process of decommissioning unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu, so you having
problems accessing it may be due to things other than network congestion.
If you are trying LDM feed related things, please switch to idd.ssec.wisc.edu
as this will be replacing the IDD duties that unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu has
long provided.

re:
> Any ideas?

I will talk with Mike Schmidt to see if he has any insight.

More later...

Ticket ID: XXF-187986
Department: Support IDD