[IDD #TQG-494849]: NLDN

Hi Michael,

re:
> I work at the Center for Climatic Research at the University
> of Wisconsin-Madison as a scientist.  I am in the same building
> as the Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Department and
> the Space Science and Engineering Center.

Very good.  Since both AOS and SSEC are active IDD participants,
it should be relatively simple for you to get access to the real-time
NLDN data.

re:
> So, let me see if I understand.  I could get real-time data but
> have no access to any past data, correct?

Yes, that is my understanding.

re:
> In order to perform
> research, I would need past data for many years over a region.

Other than the archive at UAlbany, I don't know of any other institution
that has been archiving the NLDN data.  On top of that, the license
with Vaisala has been very specific/restrictive on what can be done
with the data, and I don't believe that sharing access to a locally-held
archive was ever explicitly allowed.  I think it would be useful for you
to contact Dr. David Knight of the UAlbany to see if he would be allowed
to give you access to their archive:

David Knight <address@hidden>

You may want to explain in detail your conversation with the Vaisala folks
while at the AMS.

Ticket ID: TQG-494849
Department: Support IDD