[IDD #STS-535482]: Higher resolution Canadian radar data (IRIS)?

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> So we currently get the rainfall rate from Canada's
> 31 radars. I heard there is a "Level 2" type data
> in an "IRIS" format...

Exactly where did you hear this, and do you have a reference to
"IRIS" format?

re:
> >>There is also a 'Level II' type of data available which use the
> >>IRIS- type format but as for now we are not interested in these data
> >>since EC charges even more for these and not many people would invest in
> >>a IRIS license just to get Canadian data."

This comment fits with my belief that the Canadian radar data is not generally
available for free.  I talked to Linda Miller about your request for us to
investigate getting access to the data on behalf of the Unidata community, and
she said that she thinks she heard that the appropriate agency in Canada
(Environment Canada?) has done an about face on charging for the data.  She
is trying to get a good/reliable contact in Canada to discuss this with...

re:
> And a Canadian meteorologist I know wrote to me...
>
> >>Anyhow, in order to find out more about some kind of Canadian data feed,
> >>I would point you toward the National Inquiry Response Team--it's a
> >>clearing house for directing these sorts of inquiries.
>
> >> http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/mainmenu/contact_us_e.html

OK, I will pass this along to Linda.

re:
> OK, this sounds like a real long shot, but are the chances of getting the
> higher resolution products in the IRIS data format?

Questions:

- What is special about the IRIS format?

- Do you have software that can use data in this format?

Ticket ID: STS-535482
Department: Support IDD