[LDM #GTC-255179]: when do I need -overwrite in my pqact entry

Janine,

> I am working with netCDF files and it appears (but I could be wrong)
> that what I have concatenated is a series of incomplete versions of the
> same netCDF file, with the final chunk of the concatenation being the
> complete, final .nc file. So I don't see how anyone would ever want this
> data without the -overwrite regardless of the program they are using.
>
> By contrast, I can imaging that there might be feeds of ascii records
> that send new records individually over the LDM so that if you used the
> -overwrite you would only get the last record. In this case you would
> require concatenation to get all the data.
>
> So it seems that the need for -overwrite would be independent of the
> software used to read the file generated.
>
> What I am trying to determine is an a-priori way to tell the difference.
> Or have I completely misunderstood the nature of the LDM feed?

It seems like you understand: whether or not "-overwrite" should be used
depends, from my perspective, on the program that will read the file and, from
your perspective, on the type of data.  Because programs and data are
intimately related, the two perspectives are equivalent.

In general, binary data-products probably shouldn't be concatenated and textual
data-products *might* be amenable to concatenation (depending on the program
that will read the resulting file).

> Janine
> --
> Janine Aquino