[CONDUIT #QBE-263069]: testing new additions to CONDUIT

Hi Brendon,

re:
> Attached is a spreadsheet listing all of the files by WMO ID.  I viewed
> each of the files in IDV and compared the field identified with what was
> provided in the NDFD documentation found at the following links:
>
> http://www.weather.gov/datamgmt/doc/spc.html
> http://web.archive.org/web/20080623234048/http://www.nws.noaa.gov/datamgmt/doc/ndfdref.html
> http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/graphical/docs/NDFDelem.xls

Excellent, thanks!

re:
> Everything seems to match up nicely except for YDUZ98.  NDFD lists this
> as POP, but IDV lists it as Total_precipitation_12hours@surface
> and gives it units of mm.  I'm hoping that this is just some sort of
> compatibility issue with IDV's grib2 tables, as POP is one of the fields
> I am most interested in.

I ran into this discrepancy also.  I will look into it more.

re:
> I am somewhat surprised by the frequency of products, I thought that
> most products were issued every 3 hours, but it appears as though I am
> receiving many products on an hourly basis.

Yup, I was a bit surprised also.

re:
> See
> http://www.weather.gov/ndfd/technical.htm#elements for reference.
> According to this page, there may additional products issued daily or
> less (Climate Outlook Probabilities), I would say that these are
> probably not of interest at this time.

OK, thanks for your insight into what may or may not be useful now.

re:
> Have not tested anything in Gempak yet.  Let me know if you need more
> feedback.

OK.  Michael has played around with most, if not all, of the new products in
GEMPAK 5.11.4e here at the UPC.

The BIG question for you is if the current set of NDFD test products contains
the fields that you were interested in when you expressed an interest in
1-3 day NDFD forecasts in a CONDUIT survey?

FYI, we will be asking the other user(s) that expressed a desire for NDFD
data additions to CONDUIT what his(their) views are.

Ticket ID: QBE-263069
Department: Support CONDUIT