[IDD #TBQ-981506]: ldm request

Hi Carrie,

re:
> I'm writing as representative of the National Operational Hydrologic
> Remote Sensing Center (NOHRSC) in Chanhassen, MN, and we would like to
> set up an additional LDM feed for our backup site.
>
> The LDM administrator will be remain the same as the initial LDM box
>
> Carrie Olheiser
> 952-361-6610x2503
> address@hidden
>
> The computer that will run the LDM is ldm.nohrsc2.nws.gov with an ip of
> 199.86.20.7, and we
> anticipate starting with the DDPLUS|IDS stream.

We require that forward and reverse DNS be provided for machines
getting IDD datafeeds from us.  Forward DNS works for ldm.nohrsc2.nws.gov,
but reverse does not:

% nslookup ldm.nohrsc2.nws.gov
Server:         128.117.140.62
Address:        128.117.140.62#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   ldm.nohrsc2.nws.gov
Address: 199.86.20.7

% nslookup 199.86.20.7
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 128.117.140.62, trying next server
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 128.117.140.62, trying next server
Server:         128.117.140.56
Address:        128.117.140.56#53

** server can't find 7.20.86.199.in-addr.arpa: SERVFAIL

re:
> We are currently using idd.unidata.ucar.edu  and idd.cise-nsf.gov for our
> upstream feed sites and would like to use those same feeds on our backup site.

As soon as forward and reverse DNS are available for ldm.nohrsc2.nws.gov (like
they are for ldm.nohrsc.nws.gov), you should be able to feed from
idd.unidata.ucar.edu
and/or idd.cise-nsf.gov.

Question:

- have you considered setting ldm.nohrsc2.nws.gov to feed from
ldm.nohrsc.nws.gov
  and instrument it so that if ldm.nohrsc.nws.gov fails, you would switch to
  idd.unidata.ucar.edu or idd.cise-nsf.gov?

Ticket ID: TBQ-981506
Department: Support IDD