[IDD #YXF-596402]: VM for McIDAS at DU

Hi Matt,

re:
> We're using RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.4 32bit.
>
> I've got LDM installed and presumably consuming the feeds (Mike got
> back to me with the ones he wanted):
>
> REQUEST IDS|DDPLUS ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov
> REQUEST HDS ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov
> REQUEST UNIWISC ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov
> REQUEST FNEXRAD ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov
> REQUEST NIMAGE ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov
> REQUEST NEXRAD3 ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov

While there is nothing wrong with these separate request lines, they
can be combined to be more efficient on both your machine and on the
machine feeding you.  I suggest:

REQUEST UNIDATA ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov
REQUEST FNEXRAD|NIMAGE ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov
REQUEST NEXRAD3 ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov

This consolidation cuts the number of processes by 3 on your machine
and on rainbow.

re:
> The data pq file has filled up to 500M, I'm not sure how big Mike
> ultimately wants it, but that's the default, apparently.

500 MB is indeed the default size of the LDM product queue.  This may
be fine given the data being requested above.  There is an outside
chance that it would need to be larger _if_ the actions processing
the data out of the queue are slow for some reason.

re:
> The test with notifyme worked fine.

Very good.

re:
> One question: do I need the ldm-mcidas decoders? Seems I do if it's
> pulling NIMAGE, but the source code for it as linked from
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/mcidd/ldm-mcidas-download.html
> at ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/ldm-mcidas/ldm-mcidas.tar.Z is a
> dead link and does not exist on the file server (after digging I found
> it at ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/ldm-mcidas/ldm-mcidas-2008.tar.gz).

The ldm-mcidas web pages are horribly out of date.  I apologize for this!

re:
> Anyway, I can't get netCDF to build (a req for ldm-mcidas) make fails with:
>
> cfortran.h:138:3: error: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environment
> among:
> <long list of operating systems that aren't linux>

Try the following (CShell syntax; adjust for Bash/etc.):

make distclean

setenv CC         gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS   "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
setenv CFLAGS     -O
setenv FC         gfortran
setenv FFLAGS     "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic"
setenv CPP_LDM    -I/usr/local/ldm/include
setenv LD_LDM     '-L/usr/local/ldm/lib -lldm'
setenv CPP_MCIDAS -I/home/mcidas/inc
setenv LD_MCIDAS  '-L/home/mcidas/lib -lmcidas'
setenv CPP_NETCDF -I/home/mcidas/include
setenv LD_NETCDF  '-L/home/mcidas/lib -lnetcdf'
setenv LD_MATH    '-L/usr/lib -lm'

Assumes:

- McIDAS is installed under /home/mcidas
- LDM is installed under /usr/local/ldm
- you are using gcc and gfortran to build

Setting of CPPFLAGS should get you past the cfortran problem you report.

Comment:

- you should be able to use the ldm-mcidas binary distribution:

  pub/binary/linux_2.6-i686/ldm-mcidas-2008.tar.gz

Here is what I would do to use the binary release:

<as 'ldm'>

cd ~ldm

mkdir decoders
mkdir util
mkdir ldm-mcidas

cd ldm-mcidas
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
   <user> anonymous
   <pass> address@hidden
   cd pub/binary/linux_2.6-i686
   binary
   get ldm-mcidas-2008.tar.gz
   quit

tar xvzf ldm-mcidas-2008.tar.gz
ln -s ldm-mcidas-2008 runtime
ln -s runtime/* .

cd etc
cp SAT* ~/etc

cd ~/ldm-mcidas/bin
cp batch.k lgt2md pnga2area proftomd zlibg2gini ~/decoders

Notes:

->           make sure that the ~ldm/decoders and ~ldm/util directories
             are in the PATH for 'ldm'

batch.k    - Bourne shell script used to run McIDAS ROUTE PostProcess
             BATCH files (e.g., for compositing GOES0-East and West
             images.

             NB: ~ldm/util/batch.k may need to be edited to set environment
             variables used (e.g., if ~mcidas is not /home/mcidas; to put
             the MCLOG file in a specific place, etc.)

lgt2md     - decode NLDN or USPLN lightning data into McIDAS compatible
             POINT files

pnga2area  - uncompress PNG-compressed images from the Unidata-McIDAS
             datastream into standard AREA files

proftomd   - decode NOAA/GSD wind profiler data into McIDAS compatible
             POINT files

zlibg2gini - uncompress Zlib-compressed NIMAGE images into standard
             GINI images

re:
> If I don't need ldm-mcidas or netCDF we can move on, but otherwise,
> I've got mcidas installed and hooked into xinetd.

If Mike is only going to use McIDAS, then the only ldm-mcidas decoders
that are needed are lgt2md (lightning decoder) and proftomd (wind
profiler decoder).  Unidata McIDAS-X has built in support for the
PNG-compressed images in the UNIWISC datastream and Zlib-compressed
images in the NIMAGE datasetream.

Ticket ID: YXF-596402
Department: Support IDD