[IDD #OGE-170685]: LDM Access to Unidata

> Jeff:

Hi Larry,

> I'm now starting to configure ldmd.conf file.  I'd like to set it up to
> do the following:
>
> 1)  Accept new GRIB2 files from the previously-mentioned NAM and GFS
> datasets when they become available:

This will be done via a request line in ldmd.conf

> 2)  Convert a subset of these files to NETCDF or some similar format,
> keeping only the relevant geographic locations (e.g. where volcanoes are
> erupting) and data types (primarily wind velocity).

This likely will be an action in pqact.conf acting on the file from the LDM
queue.

> 3)  Automatically delete files that are more than ~1 week old

LDM has a scour function.

> There's a lot to the language that I don't understand.  But it looks
> like I'd need do the following:
>
> a)  In the ldmd.conf file, add ALLOW statements with the syntax:

nope you will be requesting, we ..or more likely U of Washington, will place
the allow (the site you fed from "allows" you to feed.

> ALLOW <feedset> <hostname pattern> [<OK pattern> [<not pattern>]]

i.e.

request CONDUIT "*NAM" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

would get you all the NAM models in the CONDUIT feed from our machine "idd"

> where <feedset> = something like CONDUIT
> <hostname pattern> = ??
>
> b)  In the pqact.conf file, write some lines that check for and delete
> old data, and that start something like a grib2netcdf uitility.

yes, depending on how you plan to "act" on the file will be done in
pqact..either filing  or piping to a decoder.

> I'm starting to get lost in this.  I might give you a call and see if
> there's a way of accomplishing this with a minimum of pain.

Well it is Friday :)  Call if you desire, but we find it is often easier to
discuss technical issues via e-mail..either way.

I do have a suggestion however, that may be more suitable. Unidata is
"community driven" and the folks at UAF have become wise in the ways of the
LDM. Since they are doing similar work, it may be as easy as getting their
ldmd.conf file and pqact.conf files and (with some fine tuning) use them in
your environment.

I offer this as you mentioned you have a working relationship with UAF/GI VAAC
already :)

The contacts we know at UAF are:
Rorik Peterson
address@hidden

and Rob Cermak
address@hidden

We will by no means leave you high and dry, so if you are uncomfortable with
this option, we are here for you :) We think that it may be quicker and easier
to work w/UAF folks as they are doing comparable work for the Puff model as I
~think you will be doing for tephra. This is great, closing the loop on
volcanic ejecta from plumes to tephra!

> Larry

Cheers,

Jeff