[IDD #OGE-170685]: LDM Access to Unidata

> Dear Unidata:
>
> I'm a volcanologist in the U.S. Geological Survey's Volcano Hazards Program.
> As part of our mission to reduce risk from active volcanoes, we are
> developing a numerical model that forecast the atmospheric dispersal of
> volcanic tephra during eruptions.  One of the inputs to the model is the
> wind field, which we were hoping to obtain through NCEP model data,
> including the GFS and NAM models.  The datasets we're immediately interested
> in are the NCEP-NAM-Alaska_11km and the NCEP-GFS-Global_0p5deg:
>

> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/NAM/Alaska_11km/ca
> talog.html?dataset=fmrc/NCEP/NAM/Alaska_11km
>

> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Global_0p5deg/
> catalog.html?dataset=fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Global_0p5deg
>

> I would like to up a local data manager (LDM) to download these data so that
> they can be used in tephra modeling.
>

> I see in the LDM installation instructions that I need to obtain permission
> for upstream data feeds.  I don't know the necessary sites, but according to
> the following page:
>

> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.8.1/basics/configuring.html
>

> I'm supposed to contact you and provide the following information:
>

> --Name of my site:         U.S. Geological Survey, Cascades Volcano
> Observatory
>
> --LDM administrator's:
>
> Name:               Larry G. Mastin
>
> Phone number:  360-993-8925
>
> e-mail address:  <mailto:address@hidden> address@hidden
>
> --Fully-qualified host name of the computer that will run LDM:
> phobos.wr.usgs.gov
>
> --Desired feed types: NGRID (FT23)
>

> There is one other thing.  I see that only universities are qualified to
> participate in Unidata IDD.  The U.S. Geological Survey is of course not a
> university.  But since we are a governmental institution and are interested
> in these data as part of our mission, I hope that will consider our
> participation legitimate.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Larry Mastin
>

> David A. Johnston Cascades Volcano Observatory
>
> 1300 SE Cardinal Court, Bldg. 10, Suite 100
>
> Vancouver, WA 98683 USA
>
> tel. 360-993-8925  fax 360-993-8980
>
> http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Projects/Mastin

Hi Larry,

Yes, the USGS can have access to our data streams, the USGS will fall under
"research facilities" :)

I made a trip to UA Fairbanks VAAC - GI in 2000 and did this same thing for
initializing their "puff" model.

Is your LDM currently installed? I suspect we will be feeding you from U of
Wash, but we will first need to ask them for permission :). I will pass this by
them and cc you on the message. Once your LDM is installed on "phobos" we can
test ingest. If any help is needed configuring your LDM, please let us know. I
do not know the resolution of your model, but the CONDUIT feed may be more
desirable given the higher resolution of the model output. I see UAF is
currently ingesting both NGRID and CONDUIT. To see more on CONDUIT please see:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/conduit/ldm_idd/index.html

Welcome aboard and please let us know if we can help in any way.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff Weber
Unidata User Support