[IDD #ZKP-879129]: TDWR ingest and into gempak

Hi Brian,

re:
> Thanks for the quick response. I got the TDWR data flowing here...

Excellent!

> Is
> the tdwr nids data really available every ~6 minutes like nexrad. I
> thought TDWRs scanned every minute or so?

It sure looks like the NWS is only sending TDWR imagery every 6 minutes.
They may be doing this to match the frequency of the NEXRAD Level III
products when operating in precip mode (6 min -> precip mode; 5 min -> storm
mode; 10 min -> clear air mode).

> I am tryng to use the gempak radmap program to make radar plots as I do
> with nexrad. I did not think it would work at all given your gempak
> 5.11.4 mention below.

The pre-5.11.4 GEMPAK routines will work for those TDWR products
that are in the same format as the NEXRAD Level III ones.  For the
products that are in a different format (e.g., TV0, TV1, etc.),
you will need the GEMPAK 5.11.4 routines as they were updated to
support the new format (bzip2 compression is part of the change).

> I could make a TDWR plot with NCR using radmap from
> 5.10, but not TR0. I take it I need the newer gempak for radmap to
> recognize the header of newer tdwr products (TR0, etc...)?

The difference is more than the header.  Some of the TDWR images
are bzip2 compressed.  The 5.11.4 release incorporates changes (provided
by Steve Chiswell) to support the differences.

> I was hoping
> that the NIDS data format inside a TR0 file would be the same as a N0R
> from nexrad, so it would plot.

I believe that additional changes include the range gate size.  Some
things that were hardwired in the previous GEMPAK code for handling
the radar images needed to be updated to get information from the
image header.

re: your question about using radmap... I am going to turn this question
into a GEMPAK support inquiry.  Michael James will answer it from there

> If there is a way to zoom in using the radmap command line (for my
> script), please let me know. I typically use radmap -s, but the tdwr
> coverage is smaller, so I want to zoom in. radmap -s does not
> allow for a garea to be specified according to radmap.f. I tried a
> regional plot flag -r and JFK for last argument using:
> radmap -r /usr/local/ldm/data/gempak/nexrad/NIDS/JFK/NCR/NCR_20090408_0029
> /data1/ldm/local/bin/new_nexrad/junk2.gif JFK NCR_20090408_0029 JFK
> [IM -6]  Invalid graphics area
> RADMAP:  GG_MAPS - ier =   -2
> but it did not like that option.
>
> thanks again,