[LDM #BXH-661016]: NAM conduit data not arriving via chinkapin.cs.indiana.edu LDM

Hi Felix,

Sorry for the tardy reply.  We have some folks visiting for some impromptu
training...

re:
> Not great news.  Our LDM installation doesn't follow the design you lay
> out below.

This is unfortunate.  I recommend standardizing your LDM installation to
make things easier for you (and us) in the future.  We can help you
do this via email exchanges, or do it for you if given appropriate
login information.  Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

re> LDM installed in the HOME directory for the user 'ldm'

> It's installed in ~ldm/ldmhome.
> So we don't have a proper installation.

This is very odd indeed.

re: directory where LDM binaries exist

> They're in ~ldm/ldmhome/bin

OK.

re: runtime links that point at current LDM distribution

> Several are missing here.

The runtime link construct makes upgrading your LDM trivial and
it can be done while an LDM is still running.  This makes doing
an upgrade as simple as:

- download the new version
- unpack the new version
- cd to the new version/src directory
- run make, make install, sudo make install_setuids
- cd to the HOME directory
- stop the LDM that is running
- change the runtime link
- start what is now the new version of the LDM

The entire procedure takes anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending
on how fast your machine is.

re: using the runtime link approach

> We're not using this approach either.

I want to _strenuously_ lobby you to adopt this approach.

> Will I need to do an install 'from scratch' ?  I didn't go heavy on the
> details in this message, I'm happy to elaborate if necessary.

<as 'ldm'>

cd ~ldm

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/ldm
  binary
  get ldm-6.7.0.tar.gz
  quit

tar xvzf ldm-6.7.0.tar.gz

cd ldm-6.7.0/src
./configure
make
make install
sudo make install_setuids              <- this step is important!

cd ~ldm

ldmadmin stop

ln -s ldm-6.7.0 runtime
ln -s runtime/* .

-- adjust the PATH setting for your 'ldm' account to include
   the ~ldm/bin directory

   While at it, we recommend creating the ~ldm/decoders and
   ~ldm/util directories and adding them to the PATH for
   'ldm'

-- adjust the ~ldm/data link to point at where the data directory
   was before

   Do the same thing for the ~ldm/logs directory

Again, we are happy to help with the standardization.  All we need is the
appropriate login information.

Ticket ID: BXH-661016
Department: Support IDD