[Support #HKV-830940]: question about LDM IP address

> Hi,
>
> I'm kind of trying to pick up where Trina left off.  For more info, check out
> the emails below.

Yes, I started the thread w/Trina...

> I've got port 388 open and LDM (hopefully) installed properly.  We don't have
> the server on our external network just yet, but I'd like to get things
> moving.

It will be hard to get data moving if the host is not exposed :)

> What is the process from here on out for us to start receiving the data feeds
> we want?

You will need to edit your ldmd.conf file, located in ~ldm/etc

..to indicate what feeds you want and where you are requesting them from.

i.e.

request IDS|DDPLUS   ".*"    idd.unidata.ucar.edu

  I'm guessing you still need our IP address?

Yes, and a hostname would be good too, we can go off of solely the IP if the IP
resolves..we prefer to have a hostname.

  I don't believe we have an actual host/domain name that's visible to the
public, but I noticed the docmentation says a qualified hostname is required.
Is just the IP address ok?  Or are you just using the IP to connect, and then
using the internal hostname of the server for other actions?

Yes, see above comment.

> I've also been told that the feed we want is a RAWS feed.  It's a remote
> weather station feed, and apparently it's not listed on your website, but you
> do carry it.  So how do I go about selecting that feed on my side?

RAWS = (Remote Automated Weather Station)

All surface obs are included in the DDS or PPS data stream, which has been
consolidated to:

IDS|DDPLUS

which will have surface obs for the globe. The feed can be restricted
via a regular expression if you know what station(s) data you desire.

You would replace the ".*" with the expression that matches the station data
you desire.

> Thank you for your help,

Please let us/me know if you need any clarification or assistance.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff Weber
Unidata User Support