[Datastream #IZJ-689237]: Additional Datafeeds

Hi Jeff,

re:
> For your entertainment, I've attached a screen capture out of Garp.  I
> was going through all of the possibilities for Eta 215 and this one
> actually showed up.  I would assume that it shouldn't look like this?

:-)  Yes, the contour plot should not look like this.

I would interpret the bad display to be an indication of a corrupt GEMPAK
grid file grid, or some problem in the Garp rendering of the field.

Recommendation:

- when you see something like this, please try the same display in NMAP2

What you may not be aware of is that Garp is actually not part of the
NAWIPS distribution we get from NCEP.  Garp was an add-on developed by
the UCAR/COMET program over a decade ago.  Garp has not received active
development for a number of years, so we are not too surprised when
some hiccups are found.

NMAP2, on the other hand, is an integral part of NAWIPS, and it has
been getting continuous development over its entire lifetime.  This
is one of the reasons that I have mentioned trying the displays in
NAMP2.

By the way, I will be setting up a brand new 32-bit machine to ingest
the same set of data you are ingesting on whistler; decode those data
into GEMPAK-compatible formats; and then run Garp to see if we see the
same data "holes" that you are seeing.  I will start on this today, but
it is likely that I won't be able to devote full attention to it until
next week some time.

Ticket ID: IZJ-689237
Department: Support IDD