[Staging #BDC-768289]: RE: 20080203: LDM package (SOS)

Hi Luis,

Sorry for the late reply.  I was on travel until last night and was not able
to reply to your email.

> sorry for the long delay to continue on this issue.

No worries.  We are all very busy :-)

> Let me, first, briefly say that during the period February 3-12 you
> provided assistance to install LDM in my local computer
> (yaqui.cicese.mx). However, you noticed several problems and one of
> them was the relatively old operating system (RedHat 9.0). Then, you
> recommended to upgrade to RedHat Enterprise of Fedora but I felt
> nervous and did not do it!

Yes, I remember well.

> The better or good news is that, because of several recent issues, I am
> now willing to spend time on the upgrade. One reason is that my
> portable computer has a hard disk failure and its linux O.S.  (redhat
> 9.0 too) is gone. So, in addition to windows XP I will also install
> Fedora 8.0. Actually, our IT technicians in Ensenada will perform
> that.

Excellent!  With Fedora 8 you should be able to run the GEMPAK binaries
that we provide.

> With more relation to LDM and other Unidata-provided packages (GEMPAK,
> McIDAS and IDV), I am getting funding to acquire another desktop
> computer. My plan is to "dedicate" this computer to several linux-based
> activities and one of them will be the Unidata packages. If things go
> well with our purchasing department, I will have this computer in a
> matter of 6-8 weeks.

Very good.

> If you are available for a few specific questions on the above, I would
> like to send you my questions along with a request for your
> recommendations. Please, let me know and I will proceed as you prefer.

Yes, I am available.  Please send your questions as a reply to this message
so they can be included in our inquiry tracking system (where I moved the
message you sent to me personally).

Ticket ID: BDC-768289
Department: Support IDD