[Support #DUV-488998]: Re: LDM CUP->TYPHOON

HI Brendon,

re:
> Well, that brings me to another problem which I've been putting off.  I
> built ldm 6.6.5 back in June, cleaned up my ldmd.conf file and was all
> set to go.  When I let it run, it seemed like our ldm was switching
> between primary and secondary too frequently (every few minutes), so I
> retrograded back to 6.2.1 since it had been working fine for us.

The auto switching was added in LDM-6.4.  Switching back to LDM-6.2 has
the affect of requesting the entire stream from each upstream feed host.

> I've reinstated ldm-6.6.5 and attached a half hours worth of logfiles
> and ldmd.conf for inspection, let me know what you think.

By slightly adjusting your ldmd.conf request lines, you can get the same
behavior as you were getting with LDM-6.2.1.  All you need to do is make
the request regular expression different in the redundant requests.  Here
is one example:

change:

request         DDPLUS|IDS      ".*"    noaaport0.plymouth.edu
request         DDPLUS|IDS      ".*"    flood.atmos.uiuc.edu

to:

request         DDPLUS|IDS      ".*"    noaaport0.plymouth.edu
request         DDPLUS|IDS      "(.*)"  flood.atmos.uiuc.edu

Make this small change for each pair of redundant feed requests that
you have.

By the way, I recommend that you combine your requests for DDPLUS|IDS and
HRS into a single request pair:

request         WMO     ".*"    noaaport0.plymouth.edu
request         WMO     "(.*)"  flood.atmos.uiuc.edu

This change may obviate the need to make the request regular expressions
different.

In fact, it would be more efficient on both your own local host
and on the upstream hosts to request everything from your local
NOAAPORT ingester (noaaport0) in a single request line:

request         ANY     ".*"    noaaport0.plymouth.edu

If you move to this, I would then consolidate some of the requests to
flood.atmos.uiuc.edu to something like:

request WMO ".*" flood.atmos.uiuc.edu
request UNIWISC ".*" flood.atmos.uiuc.edu
request UNIWISC "(.*)" idd.cise-nsf.gov
request FNEXRAD "^(rad/|pnga2area)" idd.cise-nsf.gov
request NIMAGE ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request NGRID ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request NNEXRAD ".*" idd.cise-nsf.gov

One of the more difficult things about configuring an LDM is learning
which feed request can be combined.  The guiding principle is to try
to combine multiple feeds so that the number of products requested on
each combined request is balanced with other requests.

> I commented
> out our official IDD secondary feed at ldm.engin.umich.edu, since they
> did not appear to be accepting anything from us; are they still up &
> running?

Good question.  We'll need to check on that.

> For reference, noaaport0.plymouth.edu is our noaaport ingest machine
> which is currently running ldm-6.6.2 and noaaport-1.2.0.  Let me know if
> you think upgrading this would help the situation.

I would recommend upgrading upgrading to LDM-6.6.5 and noaaport-1.3.

Ticket ID: DUV-488998
Department: Support