[Miscellaneous #OHN-840015]: Request from Colombia!

Hola Gloria,

re:
> Thank you for your mail

No worries.

re:
> at this moment we are looking the resources that we need in order to receive
> all of your
>information and I have some questions:
>
> -Could you tell me if we need one Workstation or with the machine running
> Linux it is sufficient?

Whether or not you would more than one machine would depend on what you decide
to do with the
data once it is received.  A suitably equipped Linux workstation (enough RAM
and disk storage)
will be sufficient to run the LDM and any data decoders you are interested in.
If you also
want to run a display/analysis application on the same machine, you will need
to invest
in more memory (RAM).  For instance, I run an LDM to ingest a large subset of
the data
available in the IDD (except the very high resolution model data available in
the CONDUIT
datastream), decode it using McIDAS-XCD, and display it in a continuously
running McIDAS
session.  I use the same machine for all of my user interactions (like this
reply through
our web-based inquiry tracking system) and software development activities.  My
machine is
a dual 3.2 Ghz Xeon Dell with 4 GB of RAM and 160 GB of hard disk.  I would
recommend that
the machine you use for LDM ingest+decode have similar capabilities as this
machine
especially if you want to run display/analysis applications at the same time
that as the
LDM.  This machine may be a more than is needed to begin with, but I think you
will find
over time that you would have the capability to do more processing as you
become familiar
with the data that is available.

> -How many machines running XWindows we will need and how many
> display/analysis applications
> do you recommend that we need to have?

My recommendation is to start with a suitably configured machine running Linux
and
run the LDM data ingest+decode and one or two display applications (like my
machine).  If you
find that you would like to have more than one machine displaying/analyzing
data, you can
always add them later.

The other consideration is for the number of people you want to give access to
the
display/analysis application(s).  If there are a number of people that need to
be using
the system simultaneously, then you would do well to get several machines.

> -Can you tell me if we will have access to the data of IDD UNIWISC, too?

Yes, absolutely.  The satellite image sectors in the UNIWISC datastream should
be very useful for your project.

> Thank you a lot for your information.

No worries.

Ticket ID: OHN-840015