[Miscellaneous #OHN-840015]: Request from Colombia!

Hola Gloria,

re:
> Thank you a lot for your collaboration, it is excellent the notice that
> you give me about that we can have access to data in your Internet Data
> Distribution (IDD) system!

No worries.  We look forward to you participating in the IDD.

> EEPPM.E.S.P has an Internet bandwidth, please tell me what is the minimum
> internet bandwidth that we need?

The minimum bandwidth that you would need to participate in the IDD is on
the order of 256 Kbps.  This kind of connection would allow you to receive
satellite imagery, global observation data, and some model output.  If
you want to be able to ingest high resolution model output, you would need
significantly more bandwidth, like a T1 connection or greater (1.544 Mbps
or more).

re: does the EE.PP.M.E.S.P have a machine running Unix/Linux on which
it can install and operate the Unidata LDM)

> Yes, EEPPM.E.S.P has a machine running Linux, please tell me what is the
? minimum hardware requirements for this machine?

The machine should be capable of:

- connecting to the Internet continuously - the data flow in the IDD is
  continuous

- hosting an account in which the LDM is installed

- sufficient disk space to store data that is ingested

- sufficient computational power to be able to decode all of the data that
  is ingested

- do all of the above while running XWindows and one or more display/analysis
  applications

Any modern PC running Linux should be usable.  We suggest that the machine has
at least 1 GB of RAM (more is better); 100 GB of disk space for decoded data
(the exact amount of disk space is dependent on how much data you ingest,
decode, and want to keep online so 100 GB is approximate); and a full color
(32-bit) display.

re: are there any universities involved in your Pilot Project activities?

> At this moment EE.PP.M.E.S.P have invited to The National University of
> Colombia to participate in the pilot project. We are in the first
> conversations
> and we hope that they enter to this project.

Excellent.  Associations with one or more universities will make it easier for
us to work with you (we are funded by the US National Science Foundation to
assist universities).

> But independent of the results of these conversations, we would like to know
> if there is any possibility for EE.PP.M.E.S.P to have access to the display
> and analysis tool McIDAS. You can found a little more information on the
> EE.PP.M.E.S.P (web page: www.eeppm.com).

I will need to review the information in the web page you sent to make a
determination
if it would be appropriate for us to provide you McIDAS as a sponsored
participant
(our license with SSEC allows us to distribute McIDAS to sponsored
participants).

> Tom please tell me if there is necessary to make or fill some document between
> EE.PP.M.E.S.P and UNIDATA in order to begin to obtain the Internet Data
> Distribution (IDD)?

What you (the person there who will be downloading and installing Unidata
software)
will need to do is register with the Unidata web site.  This is easily done by
clicking
on the 'Login' action at the top of our HomePage:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

and filling out the requested information.  After you (whoever will be
downloading
software) have registered with our web site, you will be able to download the
all of
software packages we offer except McIDAS.  If I can determine that we are
allowed
to distribute McIDAS to you, we will add McIDAS to the list of packages that you
will be allowed to download.

> Thank you a lot Tom for your information and any other thing that you consider
> that we need to have in count please tell me.

No worries.

I suggest that you identify a person there that will be installing the various
software packages and have her/him read through the web pages for the packages
that are to be downloaded so s/he gets a better idea of system requirements,
etc.

Ticket ID: OHN-840015
Department: Support IDD