[TIGGE #BGR-338705]: A problem when perform LDM tests

Hi YangXin,

re: Do you mean kilobytes per second or kilobits per second?

> I mean kilobytes per second and megabytes per second.

Very good.  Your 700-800 KB/s and 1.0-1.3 KB/s numbers are what we would expect
for the CONDUIT feed.

re: please report statistics

> Now I have setup this 'EXEC' of rtstats, and restarted my test LDM Server.
> Statistics
> data should be collected by this site.

I am still not seeing statistics from your machine.

> Do you think we need to perform another test where I insert data (such as
> babj files) in
> my LDM Server and you receive them, thus you can see directly see how fast
> data will be
> transfered to your server, such as yakov.

I think that this _might_ be a good idea since it would identify packet shaping
for outbound connections if there is any.  I will leave this decision to your.
If you want to proceed, I will turn off the ingest of CONDUIT on
yakov.unidata.ucar.edu
and start ingesting your data.

> If not necessary, may I say that the third phase of tests is good (phase I
> for tests
> within CMA, phase II for tests between CMA and CSTNET), and current network
> is good
> enough to allow packets exchage via port 388, with no "packet shaping"
> existing.

I agree: the transfer tests from yakov to your machine seem to indicate that
there is
no packet shaping.  I want to wait on a final determination until I can see the
real
time statistics.

> If appropriate, maybe we should choose a time to switch my production LDM
> Server to the
> normal operation where current "balance" mechanism with port 8080 be replaced
> by the
> normal port 388. How do you think about this?

Switching to transfers on port 388 is very simple:

1) replicate all of the request lines you have in your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file
2) comment out one set of those request lines
3) modify the other set of request lines and remove the ':8080' form the
upstream
   machine name portion of the request
4) stop and restart your LDM
5) do an 'ldmadmin tail' to look at the LDM log file to make sure that you did
   not introduce any typos in step 3)

> Thanks.

I think we are making good progress!

Ticket ID: BGR-338705