[IDD #EEH-918211]: LDM - Network Issues...

Hi Mike,

re:
> Hmmm.  This continues to get curioser and curioser...
>
> All the /etc/sys... files were OK.  I changed them when reinstalling
> LDM.  Then I checked them twice more, just to be sure.  All permissions
> seem to be OK, so I checked them again and they are OK.  pedant (the
> daemon) runs OK on start up (I checked) and continues to run and the
> time is correct.

Did you make sure that the whitespace used in /etc/syslog.conf were tabs,
not spaces?  What I mean is that in the lines:

*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;local0.none
/var/log/messages

and

# LDM
local0.*                                        /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

the whitespace between 'none' and '/var/log/messages' and that between
'local0.*'
and '/usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log' should all be tabs, not spaces.  Also, after
editing /etc/syslog.conf, one must send a HUP signal to the syslogd daemon so
it will reread the configuration file.

Furthermore, the syslogd daemon must be running.  A quick 'ps -eaf | grep
syslog'
will show if it is running or not.  If it isn't, then one must find out why it
isn't running, and there are two possibilities:

- it was not setup to run on boot
- it exited/crashed for some reason

If the first option is the problem, then 'root' should do the following:

chkconfig --levels 345 syslogd on
/etc/init.d/syslogd start

Finally, if 'syslogd' is running, and /etc/syslog.conf is properly configured,
then
one can use the Linux 'logger' utility to test logging to ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log:

<as 'ldm'>
logger -p local0.debug 'test of LDM logging'

If everything is setup correctly, then you should see the 'test of LDM logging'
message in the ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log file.

> I noticed an e-mail from Mike Barth at FL just a little after sending
> you guys the emails and he notes the OpenDAP server is back up running
> (I didn't know it was down, but suspected it when pinging it last night
> then trying to login) but that wouldn't have anything to do with my
> issues now.

I wouldn't think that the OPeNDAP server would have anything to do with the
supply
of MADIS data through an LDM feed (but I could be wrong).  I didn't consider
lack of MADIS data in our exchanges since a pair of emails from NOAA/GSD
yesterday
indicated that it was back up after being unavailable for awhile: