[SCOOP #RFW-734912]: ldmd.conf template

Donna,

> Thanks! The LDM documentation (well, the installed ldmd.conf) gives the
> arguments for each kind of statement (exec, request, allow, accept) but
> no examples.
> It was important to me to learn that I needed to escape the - sign like
> this:
>
> allow exp ^sura\-uf\-pe6600-1\.coastal\.ufl\.edu$
>
> I also found that escaping the - was needed for the accept and allow but
> not for the request statement/command. I wonder why but won't ask at
> this time.

That's very odd.  A hyphen is not a metacharacter in an extended regular
expression (ERE) unless it's part of a character-class expression
(i.e., within square brackets) --- so it shouldn't have to be escaped.
This can be seen by executing the following command:

    regex -s sura-uf-pe6600-1.coastal.ufl.edu
'^sura-uf-pe6600-1\.coastal\.ufl\.edu$'

The "regex" utility is part of the LDM package and can be used to
test ERE-s.  The argument to the "-s" option is the string to be
matched and the last argument is the ERE.  The command will print
"match" if the ERE matches the string (as it does on my workstation).

What does the command do on your system?

> This is one reason I would find it useful to have some
> examples in the ldmd.conf default file, even if provided with
> non-existant machine names.
>
> Can I can interpret \.? as a period found 0 or 1 times?

Yes.  The ERE "\.?" means zero or one period.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: RFW-734912
Department: Support IDD SCOOP