[IDD #UHT-859681]: using LDM-delivered data at RENCI

Hi Jessica,

re:
> Thank you for your quick and informational reply.

No worries.

> I just wanted to make
> sure I was clear on one issue.  One of our goals is to be able to supply
> data, including output from our models initialized with data via LDM, to
> emergency responders.  If some of the data we are using and supplying to
> emergency managers falls under the WMO Resolution 40, then we are not
> allowed to use this data for this goal b/c it is going to the emergency
> managers which are not educational and/or research uses. Is this correct?

Probably no.  If your emergency responders are based in the US, then there
should be no restrictions.  WMO Resolution 40 prohibits reimporation of
certain data into its country of origin.  To my knowledge, the US has
no data restrictions on US data.  However, if your emergency responders
are outside of the US, then you will need to be diligent about identifying
what data are not permitted to be sent to the country(ies) the responders
are located in.

I think that it would be a very good idea for you to read the WMO Resolution
40 documents yourself.  The Unidata Program Center is not responsible
for policeing the distribution of data by Unidata participants.  However,
we do take very seriously the obligation of informing Unidata participants of
potential WMO Resolution 40 prohibitions regarding their relay of data.

> Thanks,

No worries.

> Jessica Proud
> Meteorologist-Disaster Research Group