[IDD #OUQ-313836]: Troubles with idd.unidata ?

Hi Daryl,

re:
> I am having troubles getting CRAFT data via idd.unidata ?  Are you folks
> aware of any issues?

Right after I saw your note, I stated investigating the performance of
our idd.unidata.ucar.edu cluster nodes.  I found that one of the nodes
had crashed, and another, the one on which were were testing Fedora Core
5 64-bit, had been assigned over 90% of the downstream connections.  This
machine was taking an inordinate amount of time resolving names of hosts
that were requesting feeds (it took over 10 seconds to resolve the name
of a host that was hardwired in the local /etc/hosts file (and our nsswitch.conf
setup is set for files and then DNS).  The node stayed up, but the load
average went to over 110 and the processor idle time was more-or-less
pegged at 0.00%

> My machine at my house is also having trouble resolving dns for ucar.edu,
> so perhaps there is network issues.  Dunno.

Please check to see if you are now getting data with expected low latencies.
If you are not, please let us know as soon as possible.

> Just wanted to drop a line to see.

I'm glad you did.  Our system for notifying us when IDD nodes go down did
not indicate that there was any problem with any of the cluster nodes even
though one had crashed (!)

Ticket ID: OUQ-313836
Department: Support IDD