20060621: unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu crashing often

>From: Harry Edmon <address@hidden>

Hi Harry,

re:
>It is now dead again.  This has been going on for two days now.  You
>really need to take a serious look at this machine - it is sick.

SSEC has report problems with unidata2 after your first note.  Just
in case they were not letting you know the machine's status, I am
including their messages below.

  From address@hidden  Wed Jun 21 20:35:40 2006

  Hi

  Unidata2 has crashed twice tonight.  The first time was around 6:30 PM.
  When it came up it httpd wouldn't start.  I tried starting httpd
  manually and when nothing happened I issued a reboot and watched the log
  as it came up and saw the message that httpd was starting but when the
  machine finally came up httpd still wasn't running.  I called Jerry
  Robaidek and he got httpd going again.

  But then between 9:00 PM and 9:25 PM, Unidata2 crashed again.  This time
  it came up to the "enter root password or control-d to continue" I
  called Jerry again and while I was talking to him hit the control-d
  combo and unidata2 came back up for now but Jerry is trying to get a
  hold of the machine's sysadmin.

  Be well.

  Douglas Ratcliff
  --
  SSEC Data Center            Email:  address@hidden
  UW Madison                  Web:    http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter

  From address@hidden  Wed Jun 21 21:08:55 2006

  Unidata2 crashed for a third time around 10:00 PM

  After the second crash, the raid failed to mount and ldm failed to
  start.  Jerry's going to send email to the ldm list.

  :end
  Douglas