[IDD #YFU-837550]: UCAR computer not booting after powerdown

Hi Selvin,

I apologize for not being able to get back to you before now...

re:
> How are you doing?

I am well, thank you (but too busy!).

>I guess you are busy preparing for the AGU Assembly.

I had no idea how much work organizing a conference session would be!

> I was thinking about attending but it is a bad time for us as that is
> university exam time when we have to correct papers and be ready for
> examiners meeting.

I understand completely.  I was hoping that you, Horace, or Colin would
be able to attend, but schedules are always hard to manage.

> I had to shut down our computer network yesterday and when I restarted
> the UCAR computer I got the following error message.
>
> /dev/md0: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>
> (i.e., without the -a or -p option)
>
> An error occurred during the file check.

Ouch!

> Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot when you leave the
> shell.

Right.  The system needs to go through the disk file system and correct
bad blocks.  To do this, one must be 'root'.

> Give root password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D to continue)
>
> When I entered the Control-D it returned the same error
> message.

> Please advise.

You will need to give the password for 'root' (met%forum!) to let
'fsck' run.  You will need to answer yes to the questions it will
ask you about fixing inodes, etc.  This is a boring job, but it is
needed to correct disk errors (inodes or blocks) before the system
can be used again.

If the procedure runs into snags, please let me know.  Unfortunately,
you will need to run through 'fsck' actions to the point where the
machine can get back online before I can login and take a look at
what happened.

Ticket ID: YFU-837550
Department: Support IDD