20060303: UBA - data problems again

>From:  address@hidden

Hola Claudia,

re:
>I know that Marisa sent you today an email to thank you about all your
>help with the abstract for the meeting.  THANKS again!!!!!!

You are most welcome!

>I apologize to contact you again about problems in receiving the data.
>As I known, we didn't have had any problems in our network like before.
>So,  I couldn't understand what is happening. May I do something from here
>or necessarily I have to bother you whenever there are problems?

I see that I can 'ping' your machine:

% ping unidata.at.fcen.uba.ar
unidata.at.fcen.uba.ar is alive

but I am not able to SSH to it:

% ssh address@hidden
ssh: connect to host unidata.at.fcen.uba.ar port 22: Connection refused

or 'ldmping' it:

$ ldmping unidata.at.fcen.uba.ar
Mar 03 21:59:53 INFO:      State    Elapsed Port   Remote_Host
rpc_stat
Mar 03 22:00:03 ERROR: SVC_UNAVAIL  10.008258    0   unidata.at.fcen.uba.ar
h_clnt_create(unidata.at.fcen.uba.ar): Timed out while creating connection

Given this, I am guessing that someone at UBA has installed a firewall
that is blocking not only SSH (port 22) but also the port used by the
LDM for data transfer (port 388).  You should contact your department
network administrator and possibly a UBA administrator to find out if
they have installed firewall rules that are now blocking port 388 (and
port 22) traffic.

Ciao,

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* address@hidden                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*