[IDD #LNL-619813]: Is there a page on how thr CRAFT/NEXRAD2 feed works?

Hi Gilbert,

> I'd like to know how the CRAFT feed works. Does it come directly from the
> WFO's to UNIDATA, Purdue, OU?

Each NEXRAD sends its full volume scan data (the Level II data) to the nearest
NWS regional headquarters using the LDM.  From there, the data is relayed to
each
of 4 top level relay nodes:  IRaDS (OU), Purdue, ERC (Ashville, NC), and the
MAX GigaPoP which is located on the University of Maryland campus.
Unidata-designated
relay nodes get the data from one of these toplevel relays and pass the data
along to the university community.

> I noticed when the NWS lost its satellite
> uplink for about 10 minutes yesterday, Level 3 data was out of course, but
> CRAFT just kept on coming. Does it bypass the NWSTG altogether?

The relay is done by the LDM/IDD.

> If it does, that's great, because if they go down, I still get data.

Exactly.

> Just curious! If you can point me to a web page with the details, that
> would be fine; I couldn't find anything about it on Google.

The NWS maintains web pages on the Level II data:

http://www.roc.noaa.gov/NWS_Level_2/

By the way: We are transitioning to the use of a new inquiry tracking system
here at the UPC.  In the not too distant future, we will be letting folks know
that it will help us if inquiries were addressed to
support-<topic>@unidata.ucar.edu,
where <topic> are topics like 'mcidas', 'ldm', 'idd', 'datastream', etc. (e.g.,
IDD questions would be best sent to address@hidden).  It will
also help us greatly if questions posed were limited to individual topics like
GEMPAK questions being sent to address@hidden; LDM-related questions
being sent to address@hidden, etc.  We will be publishing an article
on the our new support system in an upcoming electronic newsletter.  I just
wanted
to give you a heads-up on what is coming down the pipe.

Ticket ID: LNL-619813
Department: Support IDD