20051222: NEXRAD data in text or binary format

>From: "Margarita Mihailidi" <address@hidden>

Hi Margarita,

re:
>Can you please tell me know if you have (or how we could get) NEXRAD
>data in text or binary format?

Both the Level II (full volume scan) and Level III (products at
individual radars) NEXRAD data are available in near realtime through
the Unidata Internet Data Distribution (IDD) system which is built on
top of our Local Data Manager (LDM) application.  Remote access to
the planar Level III products is also available remotely through McIDAS
ADDE-enabled applications like McIDAS and the Unidata Integrated Data
Viewer (IDV), both of which are freely available from us.

The Department of Earth and Atmospheric Science at CCNY uses the remote
access available in McIDAS ADDE to routinely access the Level III
NEXRAD products.  If you would like to talk with folks in that
department for their comments/impressions, the contacts are:

"Kwan-yin Kong" <address@hidden> - technical contact
"Ward Hindman" <address@hidden>   - faculty contact

If you/your department wants to receive part/all of either/both of the
Level II or Level III data, we can help you setup an IDD node to
receive the data.  Kwan-yin can tell you about what is necessary to
accomplish this as they used to use the LDM (in short, the IDD/LDM runs
on Linux and Unix systems, not Windows).

If you want to access the data and display it from a Windows platform,
you might be interested in the IDV:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv

or McIDAS:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas

>Thank you.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

>Margarita
>Margarita Mihailidi, PhD
>Research Scientist
>Manager of The Satellite Data Mining and Processing Unit
>
>NOAA-Cooperative Remote Sensing Science & Technology Center
>The City University of NY / City College of NY, T-418
>140th St & Convent Ave., New York, NY 10031
>(212) 650-5025,   address@hidden

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas