20051102: FYI - I2 connection at NIU

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

>We're finally entering the 21st century here. Although ,my office is on a
>100 mb connectioin, next year we'll have 1 GB capability, if all goes
>well. More importantly, as of November 15, if all goe swell, we'll be on
>Internet 2, 1 GB and immediately upgradeable to 2 GB/sec if necessary. We
>will have capacity for 40 GB/sec. I'll be looking for more data feeds
>after Christmas, and possibly before.

Way cool!

Something I have been meaning to ask you about:

Access to the ADDE server on weather3 is glacially slow.  Since the
machine is not overloaded (by any means), and since one can SSH to
it quickly, etc. I am guessing that there is some sort of firewall/TCP
wrapper setup that is causing the delay.

Do you know of anything you or your campus IT group might have setup
that would be causing the slowness?