20050930: University of North Carolina at Charlotte Unidata IDD Member

>From: Michael W Dross <address@hidden>

Hi Mike and Brian,

re:
>UNC-Charlotte, once a member of the Unidata IDD program now is offering a
>Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology. In the early 1990's I was
>involved in the McIDAS program and the initial setup of the IDD at
>UNC-Charlotte. Dr. Brian Etherton is now the professor of meteorology and
>is working on building a meteorology lab at UNC-Charlotte. I am taking a
>course this semester and will be involved in setting up the new lab
>which will be underway in 2006.  I am writing to find out what we need to
>do at UNC-Charlotte to get back in the IDD network. Is there a formal
>process to re-establish this relationship between Unidata and
>UNC-Charlotte?

No, there is no formal agreement needed to (re)establish a relationship
with Unidata.  The first thing that Brian (or someone who works for
his department at UNCC) should do is register as a Unidata user at
the Unidata website:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Registration will give that user access to all of the software that
can be downloaded from the website.

>The plan is to have up to 12 dual head Linux workstations in the met lab
>running N-AWIPS/GEMPAK feed via the IDD and possibly a local NOAAPORT
>receive system.

This sounds good.

>In addition, Dr Etherton is operationally running the WRF
>model and continues to work in that area.

Excellent.

>Please let myself or Dr. Etherton know how we can proceed to become a
>Unidata member university again.

Please register with the Unidata website and then start setting up
your LDM/IDD ingest node.  Mike, I think you are familiar with the
process.  Please let me know if you would like/need more specific
information.

Brian, welcome aboard!

>Thanks,
>Mike Dross