20050920: A Few More GEM Questions

Hi Rhesa,

Following up, it appears as if our requests have proven useful:

Hello,

We are planning to make significant improvements in the coming weeks to
the feed we are providing to Unidata.  However this may entail a little
work for the users, since we have to tweak the naming convention for the
files that we send.  Therefore we would like to give a little notice
before we proceed.  Would you be so kind as to distribute the following
message to the Unidata user community as soon as possible?

...and:

<snip>

Dear users of CMC GEM model data:

As of the 12Z production run on October 18th, 2003, the GEM model
dataset made available via LDM will be enlarged and enhanced, as
described below:

Content changes

The main change in contents consists in the addition of several new
vertical levels for the basic meteorological fields of geopotential
height, moisture, temperature, and wind.  These will be augmented to 28
pressure levels. Detailed information on available fields is available
at the following URL :
http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/grib/Low-resolution_grib_e.html

The grid resolution and coverage are almost identical to our current LDM
grid ; the only difference is one additional row of grid points along
the northern edge of the grid.  The grid dimensions will then be 135x95
instead of 135x94.  New grid specifications can be found at
http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/grib/CMC_GRIB_Technical_Grid_Specifications_e.html#low_res_reg

New naming convention

In order to accomodate the changes in contents, we need to modify the
file naming convention for the LDM GRIB files.  Details of the new
file-naming convention can be found at :
http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/grib/Low-resolution_grib_e.html#convention

The dataset will be made identical with the GRIB dataset available via
http at :
http://dd.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/public/grib/lores/CMC_reg_00
and
http://dd.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/public/grib/lores/CMC_reg_12 .