Re: 20050406: samoon clock drift (cont.)

Tom Yoksas wrote:
From:  Jeff Weber <address@hidden>

Bob,

The clock drift on samoon probably has something to do with its firewall
setup.  Before the recent reboot, samoon was using timeserver.unidata.ucar.edu
to set its clock.  Since the setup hasn't changed, the firewall is the likely
culprit.

Just for the record, the clock on injection machines must be maintained
as well as possible, so this is not an issue that can slide.  Thanks.

Tom

Jeff Weber wrote:

It appears as if samoon's clock is drifting...into the future.

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?IDS|DDPLUS+weather.bgsu.edu

and

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?IDS|DDPLUS+atm.geo.nsf.gov

Can you please check on your NTP daemon..

Thank you,

Jeff

Hello Tom and Jeff,
The ntp service was off, so I started it. I've added the ntp service to auto start on the next reboot. I've also added local (local to LSU) ntp time servers to the list of ntp servers in the /etc/ntp.conf configuration.

73,
Bob

Robert Leche - System Administrator
Louisiana State University - Southern Regional Climate Center
East 328  Howe-Russell Building - Baton Rouge, La. 70803
address@hidden - 225 578 5023