20050225: IDS data not flowing (cont.)

>From: Mike Voss <address@hidden>

Hi Mike,

>I did get the email earlier,

Good. This tells me that Harry's not getting the notification was an
isolated incident.

>and then the next (30 seconds after I sent my
>inquiry) saying thelma was currently down.

I really apologize for this.  We have been trying to implement a
scheme where the 'directory' node of our idd.unidata.ucar.edu cluster
assumes the personality of both itself and thelma.ucar.edu.  If
this had worked (and it should have), then no message would have
been needed to ldm-users since the change in data provision
backend would have been transparent.  The only problem with doing
this is the mandatory sequence of events:

- thelma must be brought down; not just the LDM on thelma, but, rather,
  thelma must disappear from the network

- a script has to be run on the cluster 'director' that makes it
  assume the thelma identity in addition to its own identity,
  idd.unidata.ucar.edu

We were able to make the director assume a second identity, but
not when the other identity is thelma.ucar.edu.  At them moment,
we believe that this may be due to a routing problem.  We are
now working on a different approach.  We'll know if the other
approach works in about an hour.

>thanks!

Again, sorry for the problems.