20041203: 20041203: NCEP ETA models on IDD

Ken,

In addition to the CONDUIT meeting at the AMS, we also have a conduit
email list for discussion of the various data sets that might be of interest
to the user community, and we did conduct a web survey this summer
for input as well.

The data sets that are available for CONDUIT are a subset of those found on
the tgftp.nws.noaa.gov server. Since it would not be possible to carry all the
data
that NWS has available on the FTP server, our goal is to provide IDD access to
data sets that are of general interest without duplicating data
that is available over NOAAport or in higher resolution. With the
addition of the .5 degree GFS next week, the CONDUIT feed will be
2.5-2.8 GB per hour during the peak times.

The ETA tiles are not part of the CONDUIT data stream since they
are more regionally focused, and therefore more efficient for sites
to FTP just the times they need, rather than sending all times to
IDD relay sites. However, community need should be the overall consideration
of data stream conduit, so that data sets that are of broad interest
are the most desireable to add.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support