20041022: IDD top level relay outages expected this weekend

>From: Gerry Creager n5jxs <address@hidden>

Hi Gerry,

>I think we can declare bigbird open for business, if that'd help.

Given the load averages I have seen on bigbird, I am not sure
if it really would be able to handle a potential 90 downstream
connections more than it has now.

By the way, idd.unidata.ucar.edu is a cluster of dual AMD Opteron
machines with a load balancer.  We are testing this semi-live
this weekend with the power outages.  Seems to be working OK at
the moment.

>From address@hidden  Sat Oct 23 08:01:33 2004

OK.  I really want to get the SMP capability back, so I may well do a
Monday Morning rebuild to FC1, a 2.4 kernel, and scrub the disk to make
it ReiserFS for now.  I'll advise.

I'll be interested in a description of the cluster, load balancing and
performance results.  Which OS, which kernel for the Opterons?

gerry