20040813: LDM NEXRD2 data from the Max (cont.)

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Dave and Art,

>Unidata said the problem is at the Maryland Giga-pop.

I just want to be clear that there is not a _problem_ at the Maryland
MAX gigapop.  Rather, they are getting the Level II data directly
from the NWS regional headquarters who are, in turn, getting their
data from the NEXRADs that have installed Build 5 of the BDDS software.
The number of radars that have upgraded to build 5 is still smaller
than the number reporting through the CRAFT network operated by OU,
so all of the radars are yet not on the NWS feed.

>I have not heard of
>any resolution to this problem yet, so in the meantime, I switched pulling
>NEXRD2 data from PSU to atm.geo.nsf.gov and I'm getting all the stations.

In order to give our sites access to all of the data, we are
redundantly feeding all of the Level II data that the MAX has to offer
AND all of the data from the CRAFT distribution on atm.geo.nsf.gov.
This means that any site that is feeding the full set of Level II data
from atm will be getting all of the stations.  Given this, Art may want
to request a redundant feed from atm during for the next few
days/couple of weeks.  The NWS had the stated goal of having all
NEXRADs feeding through the regional headquarters by September.  I do
not know how they are proceeding with this goal, but I feel confident
that they are making significant progress.  As soon as the NWS
distribution network has the same set of radars as the CRAFT network
that it is replacing, we will be dropping our redundant feed requests
on atm and asking all sites to switch back to their primary feed sites
(e.g., Millersville return to feeding from PSU).

One other piece of info that relates to your Level II inquiry is that
Texas A&M (Gerry Creager) has setup a 30 day rolling archive of both
Level III and Level II data.  This should be valuable in the present
hurricane season.  I will be helping to set up an ADDE server for the
Level III and other imagery data (not Level II yet) on the machine,
bigbird.tamu.edu in the coming days.

Tom,

Okay, I'm on atm.geo.nsf.gov now until the NWS feed is complete.

Art.