20040526: CSU's feed of CRAFT data

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Hi Natalie,

I am CCing Deb Molenar on this note since CIRA may be interested in
receiving  NEXRAD Level II data from you at some point in the future.

First item:

We have you listed as the CSU site contact for the LDM that is running
on sunset.atmos.colostate.edu.  Please let us know if you are the
appropriate contact person for LDM issues on sunset, or, if you are
not, who the correct contact is.

Second item:

'sunset' is currently ingesting all available CRAFT data from the top
level IDD relay node operated by the Unidata Program Center,
thelma.ucar.edu.  You may know that the NWS is transitioning to use of
the Unidata LDM for operational collection and dissemination of NEXRAD
Level II data.  This program will replace the CRAFT project that has
been operating at the University of Oklahoma and providing the Level II
data for the past few years.

As part of the transition, two top tier nodes, Purdue University and
the University of Oklahoma, have been selected by the NWS for
dissemination of the Level II data to a small set of Unidata
unviersities and to the private sector.  Because of the change in role,
OU will stop delivering Level II data through the CRAFT project and
begin delivering it through the new NWS project.  Purdue and OU will
begin sending the Level II data to a small set of universities selected
by the Unidata Program Center who will, in turn, relay the data to
Unidata community members that are interested in the data.  I am contacting
you since OU has CSU listed as one of the sites that is getting or has
gotten Level II data from them in the past.

So, is CSU currently getting a feed of Level II data (through the CRAFT
IDD feed) directly from OU?  If yes, we request that you discontinue
this request and rely solely on the feed you are getting from our relay
node, thelma, for now.  At some point in the future we may be asking you
to feed off of a different relay node.

Third item:

Plots of latencies seen in the various feeds received by 'sunset' show
that its clock is being set once per day.  Since the clock drifts
noticably between resets, and since maintaining an accurate clock is
essential for reliable data ingestion with the LDM, we are requesting
that you change your clock setting to use either ntpd or run ntpdate
four times per hour.

>From address@hidden  Thu May 27 13:30:47 2004

Hi Unidata,

Yes, I'm the correct contact but please change my name to Natalie
Tourville.  Thanks.

re: data feeds

No, I'm ingesting directly from thelma.  Just let me know if I need to
switch feeds.

re: clock

Sure, hopefully we can get a new machine soon for sunset, it's starting
to show its age.

Natalie D. Tourville
System/Network Administrator, Webmaster
Atmospheric Science Department