(Fwd) Fwd: LDM - Current Status, 20031023

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:03:33 -0600
Subject: Fwd: LDM - Current Status, 20031023

From: "Mark Ziemer" <address@hidden>
To: "Andy Miller" <address@hidden>,
         "Holly Reckel" <address@hidden>,
         "Lipinski Dan" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Robert Wavrin" <address@hidden>,
         "Bruce Aslesen" <address@hidden>,
         "Daniel Luna" <address@hidden>,
         "John Halquist" <address@hidden>,
         "Mike Deweese" <address@hidden>
Subject: LDM - Current Status, 20031023
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:07:30 -0500

Holly, I have included you here since items 6 and 7 have to do with fxa
changes.

Bob, future items will require computer team involvement.

During the last couple of days and today, I have made changes to the ldm /
ldad system files.  Also, info needs to be shared on future changes.

1.    The major problems with data transfer between the USGS ND and us via
ldm has been found.  For your info, the problem was that when RedHat Linux
as installed, the firewall option was included at the "high" level.  To make
things worse, they are having problems turning the firewall off.  But, this
is being fixed now and we do know what the work around is.  Run the ldmd
process as root.

2.    Talked to Brian Asifan, CEMVR, about different data feeds.  CEMVR is
currently using FSL4 so we can not us this feed to send them data.  FSL3 and
FSL5 are ok.  Brian would like us to move the non-noaaport data from the PPS
data feed.  This would be most of what we are send now.  This would then
allow offices to easier block the WMO feed of which PPS is a subset.  Brain
also asked if we could be a backup noaaport text feed for CEMVR.

3.    Talked to Bill Gery, CR, about ldm data feeds.  He has no problems
with us using FSL3 and FSL5.  When we move the items to a different feed
type, just let Mike Manker know so he can make the changes.  I asked about
CEMVR's request for a backup noaaport  text feed.  Bill had no problems with
this.

4.    MD and I got together yesterday and came up with some draft ldm file
names for what I will name:
    The COE/NWS/USGS Private LDM Network.  This will be using the FSL3 feed
type.

Mike's email on this follows: