20031007: LDM and waldo at stc

>From: "Anderson, Alan C. " <address@hidden>

Hi Alan,

>Our ldm (6.0.10) running on waldo had been running without problems
>until sometime around 1 Oct.   I do not use the data in my class this term,
>so I am going by what I found in the log files.   Since then,  lightning data
>from Albany has continued,  but nothing is received from papagayo, our
>primary feedsite  at Univ. of NE  at Lincoln.

This would seem to indicate a problem on papagayo.  I will check its
logs.  See below.

>This morning,  I stopped the ldm,  did  queuecheck  (results did not
>indicate a problem),  restarted,   then tried ldm stop,  del queue,  mkqueue,
>restarted>and still no result.

The fact that you continue to get NLDN data shows that your LDM is
functioning as it should.

>Logs show  ldm starts,  and I get a line like:
>       waldo  striker starting up  striker.atmos.....        so the lightning
>
>feed is ok.

Yup.

>I do not get a compable line  for  papagayo.

I logged onto papagayo and see errors when trying to feed waldo:

Oct 07 13:10:02 papagayo waldo(feed)[2218]: up6.c:288: nullproc_6() failure to
waldo.stcloudstate.edu: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection reset by peer

I tried to do an 'ldmping' to waldo from papagayo and from
emo.unidata.ucar.edu; I can't get through on either of these.  This
tells me that something may have changed at St Cloud.  Was your firewall
updated/modified on or around October 1?  It may be the case that access
through port 388 from papagayo.unl.edu and any machine at the UPC
was turned off.

>I did read the message about upgrading the ldm,  but from
>what I can see,  stopping and restarting should still result in a
>successful connection

The upgrade of the LDM is desired, but not absolutely necessary.
The problem you are seeing is not being caused by you running an
older version.

>When I ldmping to papagayo,  I get   " responding" so it seems to be
>running there.
>We have emailed Clint Rowe, but no response yet.

OK, so you can go out to papagayo on port 388.  The problem is that
papagayo can not get back to waldo on the same port.

>How about a fix ?
>I think you already know waldo and the necessary ldm user and other pwds
>but if you don't have time,  how about some hints ?

I am more than happy to upgrade waldo to LDM-6.0.14.  This will not fix
the problem you are having at the moment.  I would contact your IT
group and see if they made some firewall changes that are now
preventing papagayo from communicating with waldo on port 388.

>You are welcome to make any changes you want, but our main interest now
>is to get the data flowing again.

I understand and will do everything I can from this end to get things
working.  I am afraid, however, that the ball is in your court to
contact your IT department and get them to open bidirectional data flow
on port 388.

As far as me getting onto waldo, I just tried using both ssh and telnet.
I was denied in both cases, so I am unable to logon to scope things
out from your end.

Tom