20030908: IDD-Brazil

>From: Waldenio Almeida <address@hidden>

Hi Waldenio,

>        Thanks for your reply. I think that the IDD system can grown
>very fast in Brazil, because many universities may be interested  in
>these data over internet. (Something between 10 and 50, or more...).

This is very good news.  The top level relay node at UFRJ should be
configured by the end of this week (if there are not delays here at
Unidata).  After it is setup, it will be transferred to NCE (24x7
operation) and connected to the internet.  David Garrana and I will
then transfer data relay duties from brisa to the new machine (solon)
and work out whatever bugs may be found.  After that, it will be ready
to relay data from Unidata IDD nodes in the US.

>I am sure that the Universidade de Sao Paulo will be very interested
>too. (I can contact them). Now, i will contact David.

Please do contact them.  An old friend of mine, Oswaldo Massambani, is
somewhere at the Universidade de Sao Paulo and I think that he is still
actively involved in radar (Oswaldo and I were on a research project,
PEP, in Spain in 1981).

>   The CPTEC can contribute with some resources, and earn some  more
>from FAPESP, at Sao Paulo. The CPTEC is part of INPE, a Federal
>institute for Space research.

This sounds very promising.  We will need to explore this as time goes
on.

>Here at CPTEC we have 2  supercomputers,
>a NEC SX-6 and a NEC SX-4, where we run a global GCM model (named the
>COLA/CPTEC GCM), a regional model (ETA), hydrological models, etc. Now
>we are working to improve our GTS data decoding, data storage and data
>assimilation.

Do you use any of the global model output from NCEP?  We make a lot of
this data available through the IDD, so if you are already FTPing it
(like David is), it would make sense to instead get by the IDD.

>The LDM system and UNIDATA decoders meet these objectives.

Wonderful!